This Friday is Midsummer – the Summer Solstice! We think of it as the beginning of summer, but actually, it is the middle of summer since after this date the days start getting shorter again. 🙁 But the days will still be longer than night until the fall equinox, so don’t panic! Here are some great ways to enjoy and celebrate the season.
1. Go for a walk or hike! Or just spend some time outside. You can turn it into a scavenger hunt looking for different natural objects or animals.
2. Read stories about summertime (bonus if you can do this outside)! We just got this Summer board book by Gerda Muller.
I am also loving Peter in Blueberry Land, by Elsa Beskow right now!
3. Make a summer-inspired meal of fresh foods – esp tomatoes, corn, other veggies, fruit. I am planning a dinner of a pizza with strawberries, bacon, goat cheese and basil, with honey broiled peaches and homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert! Yum!
4. Start or work in a garden. I really want to grow some herbs, but so far everything I have tried to grow has died due to lack of sun… But if you have a nice sunny space – or even room outside for a garden – go for it! It is a great activity to do with kids as well. Garden In The Koop has great “garden boxes” for both kids and adults if you need help getting started.
5. Visit a farmer’s market
6. Make a flower crown or garland
8. Have a picnic.
9. Make Jam. This time of year is prime berry season! So get a bunch and make some jam. You could even can some to save for winter. (One day I will do some canning. Once I have enough room to store canning supplies…)
10. Do some sun salutations to greet the sun.
Most of all, enjoy yourself and have fun with friends and family! Happy Summer!